Finished Object · Knitting · Work in Progress

Time keeps on slippin’

The title of this post is a reference to a Futurama episode where time unexpectedly skips forward. I feel like this has happened a lot this month, my internal clock has pretty much given up on knowing what day it is. I didn’t even realize that it’s been a year since I started this blog! The academic and career side of my life have taken top priority. I suppose it should, this is my last semester of my 2nd masters (hooray!) and I’ve been heavily thinking about what’s next. Anyway, I guess that means I won’t be updating the blog as much until sometime in May. I might just put up random pictures of pretty yarn with little to no text. Nothing wrong with pictures of pretty yarn, right?

So while things are building up in my non-knitter life, I have been knitting simpler and meditative things. I finally broke down and made a Noro-striped scarf. Raveled here.

1×1 ribbing + 3.5 skeins of Noro Silk Garden yarn = the most awesome scarf imaginable. It was the perfect project to soothe my occupied mind.

In my last post I mentioned my desire to learn how to knit socks. Well, I have officially begun!

This is my first sock. Plain stockinette, easy enough. I took this photo earlier today, I’m now half-way through the heel flap. The yarn is Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock in Calumet that I got from Eat. Sleep. Knit. (I ♥ them for their awesome selection of sock yarns!). I know, I know. It’s not any of the three skeins from my last post. I went with the Shepherd Sock because of its large content of nylon. I do have the Fleece Artist Merino 2/6 wound up though for my second pair of socks. See…

Just gorgeous! This is my motivation to get my first set of socks done. Pretty good idea if I do say so myself. :)

My first sock is making me deliriously happy. Something about it makes me smile. I think it’s because I’m trying something very new. It’s exciting! I’ve used Shepherd Sock before for my first shawl so I suppose it’s fitting that I’m making my first socks with it too. I’m not super crazy about the yarn color (I thought it was going to be more grey) but it’s holding my interest so that’s enough.

As I mentioned above there’s a good amount of nylon, 20% with the rest being 80% wool, so they’re fairly stretchy. I’m using the 7 stitches/inch pattern from Getting Started: Knitting Socks book by Ann Budd that I received from Knit Picks a week or two ago. What a fantastic book! It was exactly what I was looking for. Clear directions, alternate methods, useful tips on sizing – this is definitely my go-to sock book from now on.

Lastly, I want to thank Kiwiyarns Knits for awarding me the Versatile Blogger Award. I’m sincerely touched that such a wonderful blogger would consider my little blog worthy of an award. :)

6 thoughts on “Time keeps on slippin’

  1. So you should get the award. good luck with your studies, and your socks!! The look lovely are you using the magic loop method? I think that that would be better for the socks I knit at work on a night shift as I keep loosing the odd DPN!!

    Take Care xx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s